Political News

Calm messages? An American official: “No evidence” of Iranian attacks next Sunday

Today, Friday, a Pentagon source said that “no intelligence” indicates that Iran will launch an attack against the United States on the first anniversary of the assassination of the commander of the “Quds Force” in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Qassem Soleimani.

The memory of the assassination comes the day after tomorrow, Sunday, amid increasing tension in the region after US officials spoke about the possibility of Iran launching an attack to retaliate, especially in Iraq, which increased the escalation in the region.

CNN quoted a senior US military official as saying, “Everything is not clear now. We want the Iranians to know that we are not trying to provoke them and they do not need to provoke us.”

Earlier in the day, the commander of the “Quds Force” in the Iranian Revolutionary Guards, Ismail Qaani, threatened the United States with revenge for Qasem Soleimani in its backyard.

“The martyr Soleimani was assassinated by the most brutal men in the world,” Ghaani said, targeting US President Donald Trump, who announced that he had ordered the assassination, and added: “I say frankly that the path of the Quds Force and the resistance forces will not change because of the evils committed by the United States, even in Your home (in the United States) there could be people who would pay for this crime. “

And in early 2020, Washington assassinated Soleimani, with an air strike near Baghdad airport, and Iran responded a few days later by targeting two military bases in Iraq that included American soldiers.

Yesterday, Thursday, the United States withdrew the only naval aircraft carrier operating in the Middle East, in a move that would reduce US firepower in the region amid increasing tensions with Iran, according to AB Agency.

The decision, confirmed by three defense officials and announced by Acting Secretary of Defense Christopher Miller, on Thursday, appeared the day after B-52 air force bombers flew non-stop from the United States to the Persian Gulf in a show of force, which military officials said was aimed at Warning Iran against launching attacks against US forces or interests.

The dispatch of the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier to its headquarters on the West Coast of the United States appears to conflict with the notion that a show of force is needed to deter Iran, and this may reflect a split within the defense establishment over whether Iran poses an ever-increasing threat to strike. The last administration of the outgoing US President, Donald Trump.

Earlier this week, a US military official familiar with the situation told reporters that the United States had discovered “indications” that Iran was preparing to launch possible attacks on US or allied targets in Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss the internal assessments, also said that was the reason for sending two B-52 bombers from the United States to briefly fly over the Persian Gulf on Wednesday.

Trump indicated, recently, “talk” that Iran might strike. Days after a missile attack on December 20 on the US embassy compound in Baghdad, Trump tweeted that Iran had been warned.

“Some friendly health advice to Iran: If an American is killed, I will hold Iran responsible. Think about it,” Trump wrote on December 23, adding, “We hear talk of additional attacks against Americans in Iraq.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button